October 15, 2023
Message from your Home and School Presidents - Hi, we’re Brye Caissie and Amanda DesRoches, the new co-presidents of the Home and School committee for the 2023-2024 school year! We’re really excited to be able to work with the others on the Home and School committee, and with school officials like Mrs. J and Mrs. Doyle, to help make this school year amazing! We encourage any parents interested in becoming involved to attend our first meeting of the year on October 19th at 6:30. Participation in this committee is a great way to contribute to your child’s education and you can choose your level of involvement!
October 2, 2023
Home & School News, October 2023
The PEI Home and School Federation’s Semi-Annual Meeting will be held on Monday, October 23, 2023, 6:00-8:00 PM at Central Queens Elementary School, 19821 2 Rte, Hunter River, PE C0A 1N0. Light refreshments provided.
“HELP MY CHILD" Panel Discussion topics/speakers will include:
- What is Home & School? David Schult, Former international school teacher and administrator having worked overseas for over 24 years, in seven countries before returning to Canada in 2021, will provide background and context to what Home and School is and does.
- COMPASS Student Health Survey! Cody Davenport, PEI COMPASS Research Project Lead, PEI Chief Public Health Office, will present student health survey results about their health and health behaviours including sedentary behaviours, physical activity, mental health, healthy eating, substance use, bullying, academic outcomes, and sleep.
- Screens in schools: simple ways to maximize the benefits and minimize the harms! Dr. Travis Saunders, PhD, CSEP CEP, Professional Kinesiologist (he/him), UPEI Associate Professor, Dept. Applied Human Sciences. Screens are an increasingly regular part of the school day bringing both opportunities and challenges for student learning and health. Dr. Saunders will give an overview of research on the ways that schools can maximize the benefits and minimize the harms of screen use in schools.
REGISTER by Oct. 18/23 using the Online Registration Form linked here:
???? What’s on your Home and School agenda? Home and School = TEAMWORK
Meet with the principal/other school staff in Sept./Oct. to set goals for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Add discussion about collaborative ways to support the school to your agenda
- Add activities and educational topics (e.g., COMPASS Student Health Survey)
- Add Federation monthly news (e.g., Semi-Annual, Oct. 23; Training Wksps, Nov. 6&7)
- Add gov announcements applicable to student learning and supports
- Add fundraising initiatives discussion and determine the purpose
REMEMBER: Everything we (parents and teachers) do is for students’ benefit!
???? Training Workshops for Volunteers
Vicki Bryanton and Stephen Gould will lead Home and School Training Workshops as follows:
Nov. 6 - Miscouche Consolidated School, 6:30 – 8:00 PM
Nov. 7 - West Royalty Elementary School, 6:30 – 8:00 PM
All school volunteers are welcome! No cost.
Register by emailing email@example.com or call 902-620-3186 by Nov. 1st.
???? Parent Leadership Grants
Funds are available for up to $500 per Home and School Association to organize parent educational, leadership initiatives in your school community. For more information, go to: https://peihsf.ca/grants/
Questions? Contact the Federation office at: 902-620-3186 / 1-800-916-0664 / firstname.lastname@example.org
???? Follow PEIHSF on Twitter @peihsf and Facebook at: PEI Home and School Federation
Home and School Executive for 2023/2024
Co-Presidents: Amanda DesRoches and Brye Caissie
Secretary: Holly MacLeod
Treasurer: Rylea Kember
Stay tuned for a date of the first meeting.
Home and School News, December 2022
Extra Mile Award
The PEI Home and School Federation presents awards of recognition to deserving individuals who work and volunteer for the benefit of children and youth in PEI’s school communities. Nominate a deserving school staff individual for recognition by Jan. 20, 2023. Find all PEIHSF Awards details at: https://peihsf.ca/awards/
Resolutions = Positive Change in PEI’s School System
You can effect positive change in PEI's school system through Home and School’s resolution writing process. Home and Schools are asked to consider presenting an issue in education that affects the learning success of students to influence change at the provincial level. Federation advocacy policies focus on wellness, curriculum needs, health, school bus safety and more. Submit resolutions to the Federation office by Jan. 31, 2023. Submit resolutions to the Federation office by Jan. 31, 2023.
Find resolutions: https://peihsf.ca/resolutions/
Brief guide: How to Write and Present a Resolution
Find: NEW USE this Fillable pdf Resolution FORM
School Staff Appreciation Week 2023
School staff will celebrate the week of February 12-18. Your staff appreciation committee can begin now to make safe plans for showing appreciation to school staff for the contributions they make to our children and their education. Keep plans simple! A little appreciation goes a long way!
Save the date…AGM, April 15, 2023
Book your calendars and plan to attend the PEI Home and School Federation’s 70th Annual General Meeting, Saturday, April 15, 2023, Rodd Charlottetown Hotel, Charlottetown. More details coming soon.
Other Community News….
Share your thoughts on building a National School Food Policy
The Government of Canada is taking steps to build a national school food policy. When more children have healthy meals at school, it helps them learn and sets them up to reach their full potential.Government needs your input! Visit: consultation web page to read the discussion paper and share your views by Dec. 16, 2022. The input gathered through the questionnaire and other consultation activities will inform a national school food policy. More at: Government of Canada launches consultations on a pan-Canadian school food policy; Pan-Canadian school food policy – Discussion paper; The Poverty Reduction Strategy; The Food Policy for Canada
Not-for-Profit Board Training Program presented by Holland College
In order for executive/board members to be engaged and make meaningful contributions to a Home and School, they should take training to help with understanding a nonprofit’s mission, vision, and values. Holland College is offering a Board Training Course. The cost is: $100 per person. If interested, find out more online at: https://hollandcollege.com/about/customized-training/board-member-training.html?fbclid=IwAR11xyoqe6BcOEDDq8ROliwyT8MsQYx9WAK9neys7X0qGw2ge3AKaFB3O6M
International Volunteer Day is on December 5 annually
It’s a day that recognizes the efforts of volunteers in transforming their societies, economies, and environment. https://nationaltoday.com/international-volunteer-day/